Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 6 - Candanchu to Respomuso

34km, 1800 metres of ascent
Today was a slightly easier day where I wandered through Canal Roya valley and past the Anayet lakes to descend to the Formigal ski area. I did however meet 4 Spanish guys who warned me that I would experience problems tomorrow crossing the Cuello de Tebarrai without ice axe and crampons, and they advised me to call in at Formigal to check conditions over the pass. I duly stopped at the Tourist Information in Formigal where they phoned the Refugio, and were told that axe and crampons were essential.

I wasn't sure what to do, so reserved a place at the Refugio de Respomuso and decided to head up to check out the Cuello de Tebarrai at first hand. So that afternoon I walked past the Sarra reservoir and up the increasingly dramatic valley to the Respomuso reservoir and refugio.

I got swarmed and attacked by mosquitoes as soon as I arrived at the hut, so dived straight inside and had a comfortable night and a good evening meal.

Photos from Day 6

Route map for Day 6

View GR11 - Day 6 in a larger map

No comments: