Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 2 - Caseria Gorra to Casa Pablo

42km, 1630 metres of ascent
Day 2 dawned cool and hazy and followed easy rolling ridges, similar to the Long Mynd hills in Shropshire. I don't remember seeing any people until arriving in the next town of Elizondo where I wasted a good half hour hunting for the Supermercado, and being sent all sorts of wild goose chases, when a simple "walk down the high street and it's on the left" would have done. Slightly freaked by the supermarket hunting induced panic, I guzzled down as much ice cream, chocolate and coke as I could manage to get a massive sugar and caffeine rush to get me up the next hill.  By this time it was early afternoon and getting quite scorchio, and I was conscious of the need to press on. There were long sections of pista that lead to the Puerto de Urkiaga road crossing, which looked a particularly grim and unappealing place to stop and camp, so I just pressed on up and over the next hill - the Collada Adatun - that had a shady wooded descent on the other side.
The descent dragged on a bit, with the weather turning more cloudy, cold and windy. It was disappointing to reach the Refugio Sorogain (aka Casa Pablo) to discover it was little more than a building site. But there was good flat grass immediately opposite, so I pitched the tent as fast as possible in the increasing winds and slumped inside for a night that turned out pretty vile, wet and windy.
More photos from Day 2

Route map for Day 2
View GR11 - Day 2 in a larger map

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chris. Great blog! Im doing walking the Gr11 at the begginging of june. I keep looking at the Prames guide with the set of maps with it. I recently bought a second hand spanish version from Amazon and there are no maps with it. Have you used this yourself, Im considering just buying it brand new in the hope i just got stung on amazon. Im hoping its an easier way than ordering individual maps.
Thankyou
Tilly

Chris said...

Thanks very much. Good luck with your own GR11 hike. Yes - I did buy the Prames guide and maps. I found them by chance in Cotswold Outdoor. I didn't bother taking the guide, although I think I took the Cicerone press guidebook. But I did use the Prames maps as my only source of maps, which were very handy, albeit not 100% accurate.