Saturday, July 3, 2010

Getting there

On Saturday 3rd July, I flew from Stansted to Biarritz, then jumped on a bus to St Jean de Luz where I caught another bus to Hendaye. I then wandered across the Pont Saint Jacques to enter Spain at Irun. From Hondarribia harbour it was a fairly short hike up the hill to reach the Faro de Cabo Higuer lighthouse, with handy campsite right next door. I didn't feel that hungry when I arrived, so just had an evening meal of bread, cheese and biscuits, which funnily enough turned out to be my staple diet for the entire trip. I spent the evening looking out at the Atlantic and thinking about the task ahead.

More photos of getting to the start of the GR11

1 comment:

Dominik said...

Hi Chris,

I am going to start the GR 11 on August 3.
I need to spend a night at Cap de Higuer. Can you recommend the campground there? Is it easy walk in or do you need to book a spot in advance?

Thanks for your help and your superb Report!

I hope I can come close to your pace. Need to get those hiker legs quick :D

Cheers, Dominik from Austria